Canadian Performers Insurance

Circus Artists of Canada logoYou need insurance ~

The Performers insurance program available to members of Circus Artists of Canadaincludes special liability coverage for: Fire prop manipulators, fire dancers and jugglers and includes fire breathing. It also includes; aerial performers, hoop dancers, stilt-walkers, acrobats, magicians, party entertainers, and all other circus acts and performance entertainment. Teaching is now covered in all policies!

Coverage will protect against bodily injury and property damage caused to third parties, i.e., venue or spectators who are present during an act. However, coverage may not extend to insure a participant that may be called upon to be a part of the act as audience participation. Members are expected to follow the he North American Fire Arts Association (NAFAA) fire performers safety guidelines which can be found here.

How do I obtain my policy?

The first step is to become a member of Circus Artists of Canada. Membership dues are $25 CAD per anum. Payment can be sent via email money transfer from a Canadian bank (and if TD is used you will not be charged the $1.50 transfer fee.) Once your membership fee is accepted, you will receive a certificate of membership for Circus Artists of Canada ( O/O 9522565 Canada Association ) for the current year, along with the Comprehensive General Liability Application form (CGL) for you to complete.

IBMG CanadaThe next step is to submit your completed and signed CGL. You will be dealing with the friendly folk of IBMG Canada who are the Brokers of Record for this program. Once IBMG receives your completed and signed application, you will be emailed an invoice and you can mail a cheque, or now can pay via email transfer.

How much will it cost?

All tiers include teaching. 2018 rates still available on blog page of the CAC website.

New 2019 rates available starting Jan 15, 2019:

Low Risk (ex: stilt walker, dancer, rolla-bolla, cyr wheel, unicycle, magician, juggler, etc)

1 Million – $150/year

2 Million – $300/year

High Risk (aerialists, fire performers/breathers, knife throwers)

1 Million – $300/year

2 Million – $450/year

5 million  – $750/year

Additional fees include a $50 policy fee and 8% provincial taxes will be applied. Claims are subject to a standard $1000 deductible. Payment must be received in full, and monthly payment plans or credit card payment is currently not an option.

How long will my coverage last?

Your policy will start from the date you purchase your policy and last for 1 year. Single day coverages are no longer available.

What are the additional options or limitations?

The standard plan covers performing within Canada only. American travel extensions are available for purchase on an individual basis for $50.

The Circus Artists of Canada coverage is currently available exclusively to individuals so you cannot cover members of your troupe or company as a group. You can however upgrade tiers at any time.

How can I get my certificates?

When a venue or client requests a unique certificate of insurance with the venue name and performance dates, you can call IBMG and they will issue one to you immediately. You can request as many as you may need.

How can I get started?

Contact Hala on this personal site, or visit the Circus Artists if Canada Website and contact Hala there. Looking forward to connecting with you!